Thursday, December 21, 2006

Braised Brussels Sprouts

I finally became brave once again and tried Brussels Sprouts. About ten years ago while on vacation in the Bahamas was the very first time I tried Brussels Sprouts and thought they were the tastiest things I ever had. When I came back home I went to the market to buy them and try them on my own, the outcome was very disapointing. They tasted nothing like what I tried while on vacation and never tried them again. After many years I came across them in the market and thought I would try them again. This time while searching many cookbooks getting ideas on how to cook them I finnaly realized that the first time I made them I probably over cooked them.
This recipe is very simple it does not have the different ingredients that could be added to Brussels Sprouts like cream, almonds, and nutmeg. I chose a more simple version just to see how they tasted without to much fuss. The outcome was very tasty!

1lb Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper to taste

Cut of the base of the Brussels Sprout. Peel off any yellow or bruised leaves. Wash the Brussels Sprouts. Fill a large pot with water just enough to cover the sprouts, cover and bring to a boil add salt, add the Brussels Sprouts and boil for about 6 to 8 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a fork on the base of the head with gentle pressure. Drain, toss with butter, lemon, and fresh ground pepper.

4 comments:

FH said...

I have to be brave too and try this veg!:D Never did.May be bcos I think it would stink like Cabbage although I love to eat it. Looks great.Will give it try.

Happy Holidays.

krista said...

Hi Asha, I think as long as they are not over cooked they won't smell.

wheresmymind said...

Should call you Braveheart...I'm still 'fraid of the sprouts

Anonymous said...

I'm taking brussel sprouts to my friend's house tomorrow... I love them!

Merry Christmas Krista!